Orange, Lemon & Cornmeal Cake
- 160g Caster sugar
- 160g Butter
- 3 Beaten eggs
- 100g Plain flour
- 100g Fine Cornmeal (also known as Polenta)
- 100g Ground almonds (optional)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Orange (zest & juice)
- 1 Lemon (zest & juice)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
Allergens are in bold
Orange Syrup Drizzle (optional)
- 60 ml freshly squeezed orange juice (approx 1 orange)
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 orange, sliced (optional)
1. Heat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line the base of 9″ cake tin with greaseproof paper & grease the sides. A loaf tin could also be used.
2. Cream the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time & mix thoroughly.
4. Once the mixture is combined, add all the dry ingredients & the zest & juice of orange & lemon.
5. Pour the mixture into your tin, & spread it evenly. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
The cake is best eaten on the day it is baked but will keep for a couple of days in an airtight container.
If you would like a bit of indulgence & add the orange drizzle syrup
- Place sliced oranges to a saucepan.
- Add the orange juice & castor sugar & gently simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the cake is cooled, arrange the oranges slices on the top & drizzle over the syrup while it is still hot then allow to cool before serving.
100g Serving: 379 Kcals, 21g Fat, 19.6g Sugar, 7.7g Protein